Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.

Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.
Hellingly, a Victorian hospital on a grand scale. Conceived in 1897, with landscaped surroundings high on a hill with therapeutic views across the countryside. An enclosed community, providing for itself...patients and staff lives exisiting in familiar corridors and buildings.
Closed down in the eary 1990's and left decaying ever since.

Friday 18 February 2011

I learned, spoon, fork, feed


Memories, how such lovely ones! I worked at the hospital from 1962 until 1968 and I consider it the best time of my life!
I was "green", knew nothing about psychiatry, but decided with a friend of mine to go to England from Belgium, to learn english.
I tell you it was not easy in the beginning, when you did not know the language; but with help from my english co-workers, I learned, spoon, fork, feed, etc...the rudiment of caring for the patients.
Three months later, I felt quite comfortable. I worked in all the wards because in those days, we had a schedule of 3 months stints in each ward, and that made you know every staff and patient. I still think it was a good system. We worked hard, but in our breaks, the sister would let us watch Coronation street, while having a cup of tea.
I remember also that the hospital had a bus picking you up from Hailsham and beyond and after your shift, would take you home. How about that for service? I lived in for a while and then above a grocery store on High street in Hailsham.
I still think very often and fondly of Hellingly.

If anyone remembers me, feel free to write. YvetteKremer@videotron.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment