Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.

Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.
Hellingly, a Victorian hospital on a grand scale. Conceived in 1897, with landscaped surroundings high on a hill with therapeutic views across the countryside. An enclosed community, providing for itself...patients and staff lives exisiting in familiar corridors and buildings.
Closed down in the eary 1990's and left decaying ever since.

Friday 18 February 2011

Hellingly has a 'certain feeling'


I lived in hellingly for all of my childhood, went to hellingly primary school I have yet to explore it and hope i will before it gets demolished.
My familyand me used go for sunday walks through the grounds and what i can remember is was very picturesque.(I was very young at the time)

I used to be frightened to walk there even though it was beautiful and I was with my parents it had a "certain feeling about it", the tallness of the building seemed very intimidating to a 6 year old!
Even now when me and husband drive up there is that "feeling".

I had an encounter with of the patients and it remains in my mind as clear as day!
I'd just finished school and my sister came to pick me up on her pedal bike, and i had mine. my sister decided it would be nice to go the other way home instead of past crem and post office in Horsebridge. being a typical youg child I was eager to race ahead, zooming past Hellingly church,past the golden martlet over the bridge the to the cross roads where i waited for my sister so we could cross the road and turn right.
Once we had crossed i raced of once again going right heading to the main road. On my way I was peddling without a care in the world untill I lost sight of my sister, so I decided to wait for her. While I was waiting I noticed a strange man ahead (still no sign of my sister) the man was getting closer, he aproached me in a child like way clutching a my "little pony" and was trying to offer it to me. I knew he was from the hospis I ignored him and started walking and he followed, so I got faster and started to run so panicked and started screaming, though he looked more scared then me. I was in fits of tears , waitin for my sis it seemed like forever then I saw her in the distance. She sped towards me and said get on your bike and go, so I did!
I've never peddled as fast in my life. but boy did i get told off for going to far in front!

Looking back now I can still see his child like face. I think he just wanted to make friends by offering me the pony. I felt really sorry for him.
From then I never raced off and still saw him occassionaly on the way home walking the same stretch of road.

My sister inlaw has been into the hospis and has taken pictures of the landury room, and the boiler house (I think). the pictures are good.
when she went in there was still hospis cover molding hanging over pipes and gowns and other dated items of clothing.

i find the hospital fascinating.
thankyou for all your hard work to providing such brilliant and amazing info and pics.

mgh

No comments:

Post a Comment