Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.

Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.
Hellingly, a Victorian hospital on a grand scale. Conceived in 1897, with landscaped surroundings high on a hill with therapeutic views across the countryside. An enclosed community, providing for itself...patients and staff lives exisiting in familiar corridors and buildings.
Closed down in the eary 1990's and left decaying ever since.

Friday 18 February 2011

Comedian Jo Brand - ex employee


"i just looked at your tour and it brings back memories when i was living in hailsham me and a few mates use to go in there searching it and looking around.
I'd also like to say that i saw it when it was still in working order as my mum and dad both worked there . I can kinda remember stuff like having barbeques in the observatories and stuff ...we still have one of the signs of the name of a ward there its on a brown background with white writing in block caps "ARLINGTON".
Also when i was younger my dad has told us about patients getting lost in the underground tunnels under the hospital ..in your tour you was actually quite close to one of the entrances ...in the main hall near the stage on the right there is a ladder going down ..well that starts the tunnels from the main hall . my dad saids they went on for miles and stuff ..also did u know the famous comedian Jo Brand ..use to work at hellingly hopsital !!...yeah theres a turn up for the books lol.

The burnt down social club , i had some great memories of that place as there was many disco's there when i was younger.
I've been In the water tower ..LOVELY views from the top u get the sense of being free yet wairy of falling ..My friend was kinda into putting a mark to prove he was up there ..so should have A S or somethink on one of the sides of the roof of the water tower.

...Also in the building which u said had white paint on the outside looked like it coulda had a obseravtory but been taken down ..well yes it did have one and also if you actually explorer that building there is padding cells ..most of the leather pads have been ripped down but u can still get the main idea . i hope what little i know helped you to get a broader picture of hellingly hospital."

Once again nice tour !!!
C.

1 comment:

  1. It's strange that you have the sign from Arlington ward. I worked in that ward as a nurse auxiliary in 1981 and 1982, before going on to do general nursing in Hastings. In my time, it housed elderly men and women, most of whom had been there for many, many years.I have many vivid memories of the patients and my time there. It was an odd place,but it was my first real job,so I didn't know any better at the time. I also worked in Danehill and Homestead wards.

    ReplyDelete