Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.

Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.
Hellingly, a Victorian hospital on a grand scale. Conceived in 1897, with landscaped surroundings high on a hill with therapeutic views across the countryside. An enclosed community, providing for itself...patients and staff lives exisiting in familiar corridors and buildings.
Closed down in the eary 1990's and left decaying ever since.

Friday 18 February 2011

Still beautiful theatre hall


I have never worked in Hellingly. When I came to Eastbourne as a junior doctor in 1996 the hospital was well closed, although its memories were still alive. Coincidently or not I met a lot of people who were telling me about the hospital with a lot of sentiment.

Twice I was taken inside by the nurses from Highmore. It was so sad to look at those empty corridors, still beautiful theatre hall and wards. I would give a lot of money to spend a week there.

This reflection comes to mine mind each time when I see out patients accommodated in bedsits, purposely wandering without any sense of belonging or connections exemplifying the achievements of community psychiatry.

P.S. Your website is a wonderful idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment