Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.

Hellingly Hospital - The East Sussex Mental Institution.
Hellingly, a Victorian hospital on a grand scale. Conceived in 1897, with landscaped surroundings high on a hill with therapeutic views across the countryside. An enclosed community, providing for itself...patients and staff lives exisiting in familiar corridors and buildings.
Closed down in the eary 1990's and left decaying ever since.

Friday 18 February 2011

The House - Anybody recognise it?


This house in the grounds of Hellingly Hospital and was occupied by my grandfather, Alfred Ashley, and his family. I think they moved there from Dartford Asylum and my mother was born there in 1906. Alfred Ashley was the Secretary Steward for many years.

I last saw the house about fifty years ago but was unable to find it on a recent visit. The poor state of the main buildings was quite a shock - although I was surprised to see so many people around.

Perhaps somebody knows something about the house (I believe it was just called "The House".
J H

No comments:

Post a Comment